Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How much do I Love TLA?

I know I always say, "I know it's been awhile since I have posted..." but I have a really good excuse this time. I was at the Texas Library Association Conference. You need to thank Ms. Liefer for allowing me to go; although I was gone for several days, I came back with LOADS of free books--many of them signed by the authors! I also got to attend several sessions with author panels including Melissa Marr (Wicked Lovely), Justine Larbalestier (How to Ditch Your Fairy), Nancy Werlin (Rules of Survival), Meg Cabot (duh), Scott Westerfeld (Uglies, Pretties, Specials)...I could go on and on, but you NEVER ask me those questions...here's what you want to know: Mrs. Gladden, have you read any good books? UM, are you PaYiNg ATTENTION? Here we go...hold on for the ride.

I finished this year's National Book Award Finalist and Printz Honor Winner, The Disreputable History of Frankie-Landau Banks by E. Lockhart (The Boy Book, Dramarama). Ladies, ladies, ladies. Have you ever wondered why it is that BOYS' sports get more attention that GIRLS'? or why men have secret societies and women don't? Well, Frankie breaks the gender code in this funny, smart book on the idea that not only is there a glass ceiling, but there are also glass walls, and glass floors, too.


So, Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (Speak, Catalyst) is the book that I read on Sunday. Yes, you heard me. I am the slowest reading librarian ever. However, I didn't grab ahold of this book; it grabbed ahold of me. Lia and Cassie are BFFLs--until Cassie dies in a motel room.

---alone---

Lia and Cassie hadn't really been BFFLs for quite some time, in fact. You see, both their parents felt like they were bad influences on each other. Why? Ever since middle school they had a pact--to see who could get the skinniest.
I have read many books on eating disorders and anorexia, but this is the most haunting tale on loneliness and loss that I have read since, well, Speak. I couldn't put the book down--not because I was enjoying it so much but because it wouldn't give me my heart back until I finished it.

Okay, so I am almost finished with Little Brother by Cory Doctorow, and I have to say that this book is scary in an end-of-the-world, what-would-happen-if, wait-a-sec-is-this-now kind of book. It's been nominated for the 2009 Hugo Award (best novel in science fiction). And did I mention that this author is CANADIAN? What the heck? It's like he's giving us Americans glasses to see ourselves with. Anyway, Marcus and his friends are total computer nerds. They can put a computer together faster than I can say, "Who has chocolate?" But what happens when someone bombs the Oakland Bay Bridge, and Marcus and his friends are kidnapped? Marcus thinks the terrorists have them. He soon finds out that his fellow Americans--the Department of Homeland Security--are the terrorists...they have kidnapped him and his friends. They eventually are released but what happens next rivals Orwell's1984 and questions everything we hold dear:our freedom. Little Brother could quite possibly not only be my favoritebookforrightnow, but my favorite YA for this year. It's definitely up there with Barry Lyga's Hero-Type (rememember?).
I also just started a REALLY creepy book called The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Everyone I have talked to about this book has told me that it is ab-fab. I am only two chapters in, and I cannot tell you...YIKES! on the creep factor. I don't creep out very easily (The Strangers is the creepiest movie I have ever seen--I do NOT recommend it). However, this book is so creepy that I am not sure if it belongs in the general population or if it's a green shelfer.Check out this really CREEPY book trailer:
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
I will tell you this--The Forest of Hands and Teeth is exactly what it sounds like it is. Ew. Shake it off Gladden...out.
Note to teachers (who ask as much as the kids): I also got to read an adult book while waiting for different sessions to start at TLA. On the recommendation of a friend who does not recommend books, I read The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. I had been wanting to see the movie, and the book was so irresistably--thin. So, I read it. And let's just say, that between us, I'm glad I read it; I have recommended it to others, and it covers many topics, including morality and the Holocaust. So, there you go. Gladden out--again.


No comments: